2nd Panzer Division History
For 20 years, we have carried
on the tradition of the
Farewell Celebration in Kamenz, 1936.
Formed on March 15, 1935 as one of the original Panzer Divisions, the 2nd Panzer Grenadier Division initially included the 3rd and 4th Panzer Regiments and the 2nd Panzer Grenadier Regiment. In 1938 it was transferred to Vienna after the Annexation of Austria. By the start of the war, most of the men of the division were Austrians. The 2nd Panzer suffered heavily in Poland in 1939 and took part in the French Campaign in 1940, where it formed part of Guderian's XIX Motorized Corps. It was the first German troop formation to reach the coast when it captured Abbeyville in May, 1940. 2nd Panzer, after isolating the allied armies by reaching the coast, participated in the encirclement at Dunkirk.
Click below to view further history of 2nd
Use the < & > navigation arrows to view further pictures
The father of the German tank force,
Colonel 'Fast Heinz' Guderian was the
first commander of 2.Panzer